By Luís Saraiva,Luis Saraiva
Missionaries, and particularly the Portuguese Assistancy of the Society of Jesus, performed a basic position within the dissemination of Western medical wisdom in East Asia. in addition they delivered to Europe a deeper wisdom of Asian nations. This quantity brings jointly a chain of essays studying very important new info in this major clinical and cultural alternate, together with numerous in-depth discussions of recent assets suitable to Jesuit medical actions on the chinese language Emperor's courtroom. It contains significant contributions analyzing a variety of case reviews that diversity from the paintings of a few person missionaries (Karel Slavíček, Guillaume Bonjour) in Beijing in the course of the reigns of Kangxi and Yongzheng to the cultural alternate among a Korean envoy and the Beijing Jesuits in the course of the early 18th century. Focusing particularly at the courting among technology and the humanities, this quantity additionally gains articles bearing on the historic contributions made through Tomás Pereira and Jean-Joseph-Marie Amiot, to the alternate of musical wisdom among China and Europe.
- Foreword (Luís SARAIVA)
- Portugal and the Jesuit Missions in Asia:
- Portugal and the Jesuit challenge to China: tendencies in Historiography (Rui MAGONE)
- Evangelization, Politics, and expertise move within the 17th-Century Cochinchina: the Case of João da Cruz (Alexei VOLKOV)
- The Jesuits and the information of China in Europe:
- The Jesuits and Their learn of chinese language Astronomy and Chronology within the 17th and Eighteenth Centuries (HAN Qi)
- The Jesuit Jean-Joseph-Marie Amiot and chinese language song within the Eighteenth Century (NII Yoko)
- Tomás Pereira (1646–1708):
- Some facts on Tomás Pereira's (Xu Risheng 徐日昇) Biography and Manuscripts (Isabel PINA)
- Pereira's journey to Tartary in 1685 (Davor ANTONUCCI)
- Thomas Pereira and the information of Western track within the 17th and the 18th Centuries in China (WANG Bing and Manuel SERRANO PINTO)
- Pereira's Musical background as Context for His Contributions in China (Joyce LINDORFF)
- New resources on Western technology on the chinese language Emperor's Court:
- Verbiest's Manuscripts on Astronomy and Mechanics (1676): From Beijing to Moscow and Constantinople (Noël GOLVERS and Efthymios NICOLAIDIS)
- Manchu Manuscripts on arithmetic within the Tôyô Bunko, the country Library of internal Mongolia and the Bibliothèque Nationale de France (Junsei WATANABE)
- The New Thermometer and a Slice of Experimental Philosophy within the Early Qing court docket (SHI Yunli)
- Missionaries in Beijing through the Reigns of Kangxi and Yongzheng:
- Karel Slavíček and His clinical Works in China (LIU Dun)
- Guillaume Bonjour (1670–1714): Chronologist, Linguist, and “Casual” Scientist (Ugo BALDINI)
- K“Western Astronomy vs. Korean Geography”: highbrow Exchanges among a Korean and the Jesuits as noticeable From Yi Kiji's 1720 Beijing Travelogue (LIM Jongtae)
Readership: Researchers and teachers in background of technological know-how; knowledgeable readers drawn to cultural difficulties of information transmission, particularly in China, Japan and ecu nations including the corresponding audiences in Portugese and Spanish talking countries.
Read Online or Download History of Mathematical Sciences:Portugal and East Asia IV: 4 (History of Mathematical Sciences: Portugal and East Asia) PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
A Reference booklet of English phrases and words for international technology scholars is a reference booklet of English phrases and words for overseas scholars, for use as an relief while interpreting books on technology, making notes, or whilst describing experiments. it truly is meant to coach the non-technical English phrases and words that are essential to describe and clarify issues and occasions scientifically.
The essays during this quantity search to envision the makes use of to which techniques of genius were installed various cultures and occasions. jointly, they're designed to make new statements. First, noticeable in historic and comparative standpoint, genius isn't really a average truth and common human consistent that has been only in the near past pointed out via glossy technology, yet in its place a specific mode of assessing human skill and benefit.
Unterredungen und Mathematische Demonstrationen Über Zwei Neue Wissenszweige, Die Mechanik und Die Fallgesetze Betreffend through Galileo Galilei. This booklet is a duplicate of the unique ebook released in 1891 and should have a few imperfections similar to marks or hand-written notes.
A charming ancient survey of the most important debates, questions, and controversies on the intersection of technology and faith all through historical past, medical discovery has clashed with non secular dogma, growing clash, controversy, and occasionally violent dispute. during this enlightening and obtainable quantity, special historian and Pulitzer Prize–winning writer Edward Larson and Michael Ruse, thinker of technological know-how and Gifford Lecturer, provide their particular viewpoints at the occasionally contentious courting among technological know-how and faith.
- The Story of Science: Einstein Adds a New Dimension: Einstein Adds a New Dimension
- A Summary of Scientific Method (SpringerBriefs in Philosophy)
- Das Infoversum (German Edition)
- Nineteenth-Century British Secularism: Science, Religion and Literature (Histories of the Sacred and Secular, 1700-2000)
- The Oceans: A Deep History
- The Writing of Spirit: Soul, System, and the Roots of Language Science
Additional info for History of Mathematical Sciences:Portugal and East Asia IV: 4 (History of Mathematical Sciences: Portugal and East Asia)
History of Mathematical Sciences:Portugal and East Asia IV: 4 (History of Mathematical Sciences: Portugal and East Asia) by Luís Saraiva,Luis Saraiva