By John O'Neill
- Provides a transparent and robust account of the 5 significant case experiences that helped to set up the Freud legend.
- Situates the circumstances and the research into the fitting social and ancient contexts.
- Offers distinct interpretations of the symptomatic physique, of affliction as a language, dream paintings and the Madonna complex.
- Challenges us to revisit the canonical texts of psychoanalysis.
Read Online or Download The Domestic Economy of the Soul: Freud's Five Case Studies (Published in association with Theory, Culture & Society) PDF
Best psychoanalysis books
Why are jokes humorous? Why can we snicker? In humorous ordinary, Mikita Brottman demurs from contemporary scholarship that takes laughter-- and the wider area of humor and the comical--as a releasing social strength and an endearing element of self-expression. For Brottman, there's not anything humorous approximately laughter, that's much less attached to mirth and emotions of fine will than to a nexus of darker feelings: worry, aggression, disgrace, nervousness.
This quantity brings jointly a few of the papers awarded via major students, artists and psychoanalysts at an annual Creativity Seminar organised through the Erikson Institute of the Austen Riggs heart. taking a look at creativity via a psychoanalytic lens - and extremely importantly, vice versa - the authors research nice works, similar to Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, Mahler's 8th Symphony, and William Gibson's The Miracle employee; in addition to nice artists, reminiscent of Van Gogh and Lennon and McCartney, for what we would find out about the artistic approach itself.
Including Ferenczi, Karl Abraham used to be probably Freud's such a lot artistic and committed disciple. during this booklet, after outlining the socio-cultural context of the day, Isabel Sanfeliu examines Abraham's existence as a scholar, his kin setting and his first steps as a doctor and psychoanalyst. As a scientific general practitioner Abraham used to be calm and indifferent, and a superb instance of a sturdy and goal analyst.
Psychoanalysis and neurological medication have promoted contrasting and doubtless irreconcilable notions of the fashionable self. because Freud, psychoanalysts have trusted the spoken note in a healing perform that has revolutionized our figuring out of the brain. Neurologists and neurosurgeons, in the meantime, have used fabric apparatus—the scalpel, the electrode—to probe the workings of the worried procedure, and in so doing have notably reshaped our knowing of the mind.
- How Culture Runs the Brain: A Freudian View of Collective Syndromes (Dialog-on-Freud)
- Self-Hatred in Psychoanalysis: Detoxifying the Persecutory Object
- Trauma, Torture and Dissociation: A Psychoanalytic View
- For Love of the Imagination: Interdisciplinary Applications of Jungian Psychoanalysis
- Die Deutung in der Psychoanalyse (Lindauer Beiträge zur Psychotherapie und Psychosomatik) (German Edition)
Extra info for The Domestic Economy of the Soul: Freud's Five Case Studies (Published in association with Theory, Culture & Society)
The Domestic Economy of the Soul: Freud's Five Case Studies (Published in association with Theory, Culture & Society) by John O'Neill